Thursday, June 02, 2005

Remembering Grandma...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Jean Crowell Dunham
(June 11, 1922 - June 2, 2004)
Grandma died one year ago today. I was so fortunate to have been down to the Cape to see her the week before she died, though we were not expecting to lose her. Right after her death, and now over the last year, I have been thinking especially about the many perfectly normal little things she did, as she did every day, that were representative of her strength, selflessness, patience, wisdom, thoughtfulness, and grace: We planted flowers in memory of deceased relatives down at the cemetery; she put out pressed linen napkins for dinner and was sure the bean salad was served in the "right" bowl; we picked out flowers for her window boxes; she wove a lattice top crust for a delicious strawberry rhubarb pie with meticulous care -- her way of communicating how much she loved those around her.
Because of all these quiet things, her very being, she was a great teacher to us all, perhaps, I've been realizing, the greatest teacher I've ever had. She was also one of my best friends. I am extremely lucky to have been able to share as much time with her as I did.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anne said...

What a lovely post!! She sounds like a wonderful lady. :) I lost my Gram 2 years ago this summer, and I miss her every day.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I know we've talked about our Grandmas before, but your post had me tearing up. I hope you're planning a strawberry-rhubarb pie in her honor. ;) (sniffle, sniffle...)

4:11 PM  
Blogger Niobium said...

A beautiful post and great page.

Nio

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home